Monday 1 September 2014

Monday Sept 1, 2014 - Understanding pray, a special investigator passed away and his personal growth.

Hey Everyone,

I am excited to talk with you all this day, This week has been very trying and it has been difficult. There is no doubt about that.

Well let's first talk about my studies this week. 

I studied in Preach My gospel this week in Chapter 4: Recognizing the Holy Ghost. 
As I read through that section I discovered some things.
One thing I discovered was  that in order to be saved we need revelation. I thought that was interesting, that revelation is that important that it is necessary to be saved in the Kingdom of God. I also found interesting that REVELATION for ourselves is VITAL for each of us, because if we don't have revelation we are just going by what everyone else Says, but the only way to recieve truth is from God and his holy Spirit that testifies the truth of those things unto us.

I also learnt that Prayer is needed to have the Spirit and that the Spirit is needed in our prayers, which I thought was interesting. I thought before that we pray to ask for help, we pray for thanksgiving, but I didn't truly see how the Spirit actually guides our prayers and helps us if we hearken to it to align our will with God's. Prayer allows us to ask for things we need, ask for things for others, be thankful, become closer with our heavenly father but also to allow us to feel answers that come from him. 

When studying about how to recognize the Promptings of the Holy Ghost it states how we are to listen softly because the spirit will not shout or shake us with a heavy hand but it whispers to us and if we allow it to it will guide us. However in the world today there are so many things that deter this effect that take away from this guide and that dull your spirituality, Recently I have noticed that Satan doesn't pull you away but he does try to lead you away little by little, even if it is just staying abit longer at a dinner appointment, or taking abit longer getting ready, or starting your study a few minutes later. These little things give him power, and I don't know about you but I do not want to give him any power over me. But if you are not watching and praying often you will be led away. And to be honest in this area I have slacked off abit in my prayers, I used to pray several times a day and pray everytime an activity or location changed from what was planned or which was planned but here i have stopped doing that as much, So I know for myself I need to improve. Ask Yourselves how many times do I pray? Why Do I Pray? and then think about it, why are you praying, why are you reading your scriptures? 
Yesterday in Priesthood- Relief Society meeting our branch President Invited us to study the scriptures but he emphasized one important point which I would like to emphasize. And that was Why? Why do we do it? We should not be doing these things because we are told too, or it is expected of us, but we should be doing these things because we want to, we should be going to church to be changed and to become better. A month or so back we had a zone conference, and in that conference we talked about how our meetings should not be called meetings, but they should be revelatory experiences. We don't go just because it's what is expected, WE SHOULD BE CHANGING AS TO A RESULT OF WHAT IS LEARNED.

I also thought that one of the sections was interesting it is called A WORD OF CAUTION, which kind of made me scared abit and through reading it , it emphasized that not only should you pray for inspiration, but make sure to logically do it as well, confirm it with scriptures and teachings. For example a Primary president won't recieve inspiration to tell the Bishop how to do his responsiblilities. 
I thought that was interesting.
This quote as well from President James E. Faust "If worthy, we are entitled to recieve revelations for ourselves, parents for their children, and members of the church in their callings. But the right of revelation for others does not extend beyond our own stewardship."
That really helped me because some times I feel obligated to correct behaviour I don't deem fit from others, but It isn't my reponsibility to do so, maybe at one point it might be but right now I know that the only thing I can do is be an example of the believers.

I have also been studying in the New Testament and analysing Christ's teachings to work to become like him and this past week I just noticed some blessings and the way some of his questions are asked and how I can learn from them. I love the promises given in Matt19:29
"And every one that hath forsaken houses or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or Children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall recieve an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life" I love the blessings." ALWAYS REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!

Now onto my week, this past week has been interesting, As you heard in my last message we had zone development on Monday and it was fun, I hurt my toe and after further examination, was happy to hear that it was just abit of soft tissue damage, I am so greatful for that, thought it was weird though because the doctor told me to walk normally eventhough it was very painful. So I did that. Tuesday we had a usual Tuesday, it was a good day but unfortunately in this week we had a few pretty big cancellations which hit us hard.We were able to have alot of good lessons this week and are giving some people abit of time at the moment to decide and to ponder about baptism, so that has been nice. Thursday we had a good lesson with an investigator, he has been doing very well and is progressing nicely, he is very humble which is nice to see , when you know his difficulties so that is a nice treat. He had a question though, with his accident after it alot of friends left and he was wondering why that was, so it is a great question, I Know that heavenly father gives us challenges to not only challenge and build us but also to test others.
We had two opportunities when we were on a bus talking where two people engaged us in conversation and asked us about our church and told us they see us alot, so that was a cool experience. And that is what happened this week.

One of the members that we visited each week and came to care about alot, ended up passing away this week, so that took a toll on Elder Patterson and I and it has been hard but I am so greatful to know that in God's Plan we can be with our families forever and see each other again. So greatful for temples and the eternal plan of Salvation. 

I know that this life is the life to prepare to meet God, and this life is the time to perform our labours and to make choices that will shape our eternal future. I know this church is true, I know more then ever that through hard times Jesus Christ has suffered through these as well and can succor you as well as you experience them, I am so greatful for my savior for all he has done for me, I am not perfect and I am far from it, I sin , I make mistakes but I try to be better but sometimes, tempations so easily beset me, and they cause me to grieve, but just like Nephi, I know in whom I trust and that is what keeps me going. 

I love you all and know that this GOSPEL is TRUE. I encourage all of you to strive to come to find this eternal truth out for yourself. 

Visit Mormon.org if you have any questions.

I Love You,

Peace be with you this day. Trust the Lord.

Live Long and Prosper,

Know that you all mean the world to me, and are in my prayers.

P. S If anyone has anything that they would like me to find out or are struggling with send me a message and I will do my best to learn about it for you.

Elder Reece Out.
 
- Elder James Reece

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elder James Thomas Kirk Reece
Scotland/Ireland Mission
51 Spylaw Road
Edinburgh
Scotland EH10 5BP
United Kingdom

Mission home Phone: 44 +44(131)-337-1283

email: james.reece@myldsmail.net